Monday, August 11, 2008

Smoking in Malaysia


I was very pleased quite a few years back when the government banned smoking in public places. It does not extend to bars, cafes and open areas but it does include all hospitals/clinics, public lifts and toilets, air-conditioned restaurants, public transport, government premises, educational institutions, petrol stations, internet cafes and shopping complexes. However due to poor enforcement, smoking seems to be invading our Malaysian society again.


When you go and enjoy an expensive meal at a restaurant, you do not wish to smell secondary smoke as a side dish. However not many restaurants enforce a totally non-smoking zone but rather succumb to their customers wishes and divide up the restaurant for smokers and non-smokers. However with the poor ventilation in most restaurants, you cant help breathing in the smoke especially in Chinese restaurants.


When I was at Hotel Armada for their buffet, it was disappointing to see smokers actually demanding for ash trays like it came with the buffet. The typical Malaysian smoker seems to find great joy in just puffing the smoke into the air in a nonchalant way. I see them blowing right into their friends faces and if it was me, I would immediately put out the cigarette for him. It doesnt seem courteous to be the only smoker in a group of 10 people.


It is especially excruciating when you find smokers even in hair salons. Just imagine going in for a RM200 hair job and coming out smelling like an exhaust pipe! I have told off salon stylists if they are the ones doing the smoking as I am not paying for smoky hair, mind u!! Nowadays I will avoid hair salons that endorses smoking in their establishments. Lets put it this way- cigarette smoke is like durian smell...it stays with you period!


I do pray for the day when anti-smoking enforcement will be strictly enforced. I would support issuing a huge summons/fine to those establishments which condone smoking and closing them down if they persist. I have nothing against people who smoke but please be courteous to the next person and leave your smoke in your own lungs, please!

Post by Goh

No comments: